Job offer from October 07, 2022
PhD position (m/f/d) in Human Psychophysics with fMRI/MRI, TMS and/or EEG (TVöD-Bund E13, 65%)
The Department of Sensory and Sensorimotor Systems (PI Prof. Li Zhaoping) at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics and at the University of Tübingen is currently looking for highly skilled and motivated individuals to work on projects aimed towards understanding visual attentional and perceptual processes using fMRI/MRI, TMS and/or EEG methodologies. The framework and motivation of the projects.
The projects can involve, for example, visual search tasks, stereo vision tasks, visual illusions, and will be discussed during the application process. fMRI/MRI, TMS and/or EEG methodologies can be used in combination with eye tracking, and other related methods as necessary.
- Conduct and participate in research projects such as lab and equipment set up, data collection, data analysis, writing reports and papers, and presenting at scientific conferences.
- Participate in routine laboratory operations, such as planning and preparations for experiments, lab maintenance and lab procedures.
- Participate in teaching assistance duties for university courses in our field.
- Master’s degree in neuroscience, psychology, computer science, physics or a related natural science or engineering field.
- Programming skills in MATLAB or Python or a similar language is required.
- Skills in techniques of human visual psychophysics, experimental data taking, data analysis is highly desirable.
- Skilled in report writing, previous peer reviewed publication is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with hardware and techniques in eye tracking, fMRI/MRI, EEG, TMS, tDCS/tACS, and other related techniques such as in carrying out fMRI experiments is a plus.
- Strong command of English; knowledge of German is a plus
Who we are
We use a multidisciplinary approach to investigate sensory and sensory-motor transforms in the brain (www.lizhaoping.org). Our approaches consist of both theoretical and experimental techniques including human psychophysics, fMRI imaging, EEG, electrophysiology and computational modelling. One part of our group is located in the University, in the Centre for Integrative Neurosciences (CIN), and the other part is in the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics as the Department for Sensory and Sensorimotor Systems. You will have the opportunity to learn skills from other members of the group and benefit from multidisciplinary interactions, including with our collaborators locally and internationally. The PhD contract (TVöD-Bund E13, 65%) duration is for 3 years. We seek to raise the number of women in research and teaching and therefore urge qualified women to apply. Disabled persons will be preferred in case of equal qualification.
The position is available immediately and will be open until filled. Preference will be given to applications received by November 30th, 2022.We look forward to receiving your application that includes (1) a cover letter, including a statement on roughly when you would like to start this position, (2) a motivation statement, (3) a CV, (4) names and contact details of three people for references, (5) transcripts from your past and current education listing the courses taken and their grades, (6) if you have them, please also include copies of your degree certificates, (7) if you have them, include a pdf file of your best publication(s), or other documents and information that you think could strengthen your application. Please use pdf files for these documents (and you may combine them into a single pdf file) and send to email@example.com, where also informal inquiries can be addressed. Please note that applications without complete information in (1)-(5) will not be considered, unless the cover letter includes an explanation and/or information about when the needed materials will be supplied.